Do I dare?

Monday, September 11, 2006

I'm a slacker

Since I haven't posted anything in about 2 weeks now, which is sad considering that now I'm even hooked back up with internet in my own place and really have no excuse, I'll try to do a quick recap. Sad, considering the things that happened in these past two weeks are deserving of so much more, but I'm tired of rehashing these events, and so a quick recap will have to do.

Labor Day Weekend -- Road trip and (mini) DePauw/AXO reunion. Okay, so I only met up with one person, Cristin Neil, who's working for AmeriCorps in Austin -- but that counts. From Austin we drove down to McAllen and then South Padre Island for the most amazing day at the beach -- we were there all day on Sunday -- and other exciting happenings throughout the long weekend. Thinking about our roadtrip, I'm still laughing/scratching my head/trying to figure out how all that happened in just one weekend. For all the juicy details (if you haven't already heard them) -- if you're that curious -- call. I've written about them/talked about them/etc. too many times to really want to do it all again here, so I'm moving on... OK fine, there's one little thing too crazy to pass on writing about here, as well. So in this tiny little town near the southernmost tip of Texas, so close to Mexico we could practically see it, hanging out in a place I don't even know how we ended up there ... I happen to meet the older brother of these twins I used to know back when I was in elementary school, living in the UP of Michigan, pretty darn close to Canada. Yeah, just wierd. And that was pretty much par for the weekend...

Meeting my roommate -- her name is Marsharie. She's from Austin, and also has family near Arlington, which is pretty convenient for her. She usually goes to see her Arlington family members on weekends, and thus can procure from them such neccesary household items as Drain-0, for us to use on our slow-draining and nicely stained bathtub. Did I say slow-draining? Ha. I met backwards spewing, gurgeling, barely-draining-at- all, disgustingly stained bathtub (really I think the water evaporates from the tub faster than it drains) -- but of course, that's all about to change, thanks to the Drain-O (everyone keep your fingers crossed for us, say a prayer, etc.) With the exception of the gross tub, however, everything else: my apartment, my roommate, and the other PT (project transformation -- probably more about this later) interns, everything else about living on Tyler St is great and I am complaint free.

Grocery shopping -- I love grocery shopping, but not at Sam's Club. Sam's Club scares me. I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't complain about it, since I've been put on WR's corporate account, or whatever it's called, and therefore can buy a reasonable ammount of grocery's, tax free, and not by my own expense. But I'm sorry, it's just not necessary to buy that much bulk food. Do I really need a milkcarton's worth of Ranch dressing? No I do not. So I can't buy it there. What can I buy there? Lots and lots of vegatables, a 72 pack of cheese, and a big tub of hummous. Because if there are any kinds of foods I can consume, myself, in bulk quantities, they would be veggies, cheese, and hummous. And Sam's Club does have good hummous. I know Michelle has a great recipe to make it homemade, but I don't have a blender yet, and this SC stuff is deeelicious. So I'll return to SC to buy it again -- even if they send me out the door without bags. The rest of my groceries I will, and do, just buy normal size, on my own dollar, at a normal grocery store. And I only buy the salsa I want -- sorry, Adam, couldn't resist. (And fyi -- for me, it's salsa con queso -- tostido brand).

Buying my internet chord -- OK, this doesn't sound that exciting, I realize. And really, the buying part of it wasn't exciting. But trying to find the closest WalMart -- which first of all, I hate WalMart, but I didn't know where else to go, and I didn't have internet to look up another place -- well let's just say it was an adventure. On the bad directions of the library woman who wouldn't let me on the internet there (the OakCliff library is not so cool, I'm gonna have to find a better one, even if it'll be farther away...) to look up where to go, I basically ended up in Fort Worth before I found a WalMart. Then on the way home, I missed my exit, ended up in DownTown Dallas, drove around there for a while, having decided to try to find the YMCA -- but I couldn't get to it, even though I knew the address, because of stupid ONE WAY STREETS -- the bain of my existance. I proceeded to drive around downtown until the gas light came on, decided to give up and just head back home before I ran out of gas and made the day even more of a hassle, had to fight Dallas's ridiculous rushhour traffic to drive the 4 or 5 miles out of town back to OakCliff, but eventually returned home safely with my internet chord. Side note: since I practically drove to Fort Worth, that meant I drove through Arlington ... which meant I passed 6 Flags Over Texas!!! That made the rest of my experience totally worth it, because once I hooked up my computer to the internet in my apartment, I went online to look up admission prices. Aparently I can get a season pass for the price of a daily admission because of some anniversary deal ... $45. And since the park in only about 20 minutes away, I can totally get there multiple times before the season ends... in DECEMBER ... yeah southern states and hot weather year round!! So I'm planning a 6 Flags trip already...

And finally, the 11th, the first day of afterschool programming -- you know, I've already written too much in this post, and the kids, and the rest of the events of today, deserve more than second billing to all that I've written already. So more about today ... some other day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home